The history books tell us that many civilisations have passed through Jerez de Badajoz, which is known today as Jerez de los Caballeros, from the Romans to the Phoenicians, Arabs and Christians.
We have preserved something from all of them with great pride.
From prehistoric times, our most prized piece of heritage is the Dolmen de Toriñuelo, which is situated 5 km outside the town. This structure dates back to the Copper Age. The Phoenicians knew the area and some believe they may have founded it. They did at least give it the name of "Ceret."
The Visigoths left as an inverted column, which dates back to 556 A.D.
During Arab rule, the town was known as Xerixa or Xeris and there is no doubt that it was an important city. Unfortunately, few monuments remain from this era although we do have two marabout shrines. Thanks to the conquest of Alfonso IX of León in 1230 and with the help of the Knights Templar, Jerez de los Caballeros entered the Christian era.
The Knights Templar began a repopulation and enlargement of the region. It was the era of the "bailiato" constitution or the Jerez Mission, as certain documents prove. The dissolution of the Order of the Knights Templar in 1312 by papal bull from Pope Clement V meant the Knights Templar's possessions in Spain, and in particular those in Jerez de los Caballeros, were transferred to the crown. History says that the Templars resisted and that all of the knights were massacred, and from this event the name of the "Torre Sangrienta" (the "Bloody Tower") was given to one of the bastions of Jerez's walls.
In 1312, Jerez de los Caballeros became a free city under the domain of the crown. In 1370, Henry II of Castile granted the city to the Order of Santiago, which radically improved it although little information has been preserved from this period.
The 16th century oversaw a period of expansion for Jerez de los Caballeros. Its monuments multiplied, the population increased and, between 1523 and 1526 approximately, Charles I of Spain bestowed it with the title of "most noble and loyal city."
The 17th and 18th centuries were an age of decline for the town. These centuries brought great poverty, which was aggravated by the War of Succession.
Finally, in the 20th century, thanks to the "Badajoz Agreement", it was decided that two reservoirs and three districts would be constructed.